AudioNervosa

Music Ward => Music Discussion => Topic started by: rollo on August 23, 2012, 08:44:25 AM

Title: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: rollo on August 23, 2012, 08:44:25 AM
  Thought it would interesting as to what our friends here listen to mostly.
   Your top ten picks that spin mostly in your system. Do you have a go to CD or LP ?
    I'm not talking the best sonic source you have. As Richadoo stated "content".
    After you select the top ten, select one for Jazz, Rock, Blues and Classical that you feel have great sonics and content.
     Curious to know if we have a piece of music that several here listen to in common.
      Should be interesting to know what we all favor.



charles
Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: James Edward on August 23, 2012, 11:01:36 AM
Great post Sir Charles... I'll start with those I listen to frequently...

Duane Allman.  Anthology disc 1
Genesis.           Selling England By The Pound
Genesis.           Foxtrot
The Chieftains.  Long Black Veil
Bobby Bare.      16 Greatest
Alberta Hunter.  Amtrak Blues
Graham Nash.   Songs For Beginners
Cat Stevens.     Tea For The Tillerman/ Catch Bull At Four
King Crimson.   Court of the Crimson King
Rolling Stones.  Exile on Main Street






Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: StereoNut on August 23, 2012, 12:11:49 PM
Quote from: James Edward on August 23, 2012, 11:01:36 AM
Great post Sir Charles... I'll start with those I listen to frequently...

Duane Allman.  Anthology disc 1
Genesis.           Selling England By The Pound
Genesis.           Foxtrot
The Chieftains.  Long Black Veil
Bobby Bare.      16 Greatest
Alberta Hunter.  Amtrak Blues
Graham Nash.   Songs For Beginners
Cat Stevens.     Tea For The Tillerman/ Catch Bull At Four
King Crimson.   Court of the Crimson King
Rolling Stones.  Exile on Main Street

Gee, Jim.  Those sound like all of Albert's favorites too! ;)
Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: bhobba on August 23, 2012, 10:07:43 PM
Let me think - I may not come up with 10 but here goes:

Celine Dione - Live In Las Veges
Dianna Krall - Live In Paris
Melody Gardot - My One And Only Thrill
Sammy Davis - The Wham Of Sam
Peter Paul And Mary - Platinum
Patti Smith - Horses
Roy Orbison - Best Of
The Blues Brothers
Frank Sinatra - Songs For Swingin Lovers
Harry Bellafonte - Live At Carnegie Hall.

Well it looks like I got 10 easy peasy.  I use computer audio exclusively.

Thanks
Bill
Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: BobM on August 24, 2012, 06:52:42 AM
OK, from memory, these are the disks I tend to pull out more often, when I have audio buddies over (in no particular order):

LP
- Ray Brown - Soular Energy
- Dizzie Gillespie & others - The Alternate Blues
- Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman (Riverside reissue)
- Michael Hedges - Strings of Steel
- Dire Straits - almost anything by these guys
- Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather
- Joni Mitchell - almost anything by her, but mostly Hijera
- Robbie Robertson - How To Become Clairvoyant
- Alan Parsons - Tales of Mystery and Imagination
- Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs (Riverside remaster)
- definitely others I can't remember offhand


CD
- Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day
- David Benoit - American Landscape
- Oregon - almost anything by this group
- Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago
- Clayton Brothers - Back in the Swing of Things
- Big Phat Band - almost anything by this group
- Lee Ritenour - 6 String Theory
- Vienna Teng - almost anything by this songstress
- Dire Straits - almost anything by these guys
- Dave Matthews Band - Crash
- Eberhard Weber - Endless Days
- Herbie Hancock - Possibilities (Christina Agulera track), or Gershwins World
- Kevin Gilbert - Thud
- Miles Gurtu - s/t

Other than what is listed above (most of which would probably qualify as "audiophile" in one way or another) I most frequently listen to just about anything I feel like listening to at the time, and that list is very long indeed.

Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: BobM on August 29, 2012, 07:51:00 AM
I was really hoping this thread would gather some more responses, rather than dust. I, for one, am always on the look out for additional music I've not heard before. Which is probably why Charles also started the thread in the first place.
Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: rollo on August 29, 2012, 08:17:09 AM
Quote from: BobM on August 29, 2012, 07:51:00 AM
I was really hoping this thread would gather some more responses, rather than dust. I, for one, am always on the look out for additional music I've not heard before. Which is probably why Charles also started the thread in the first place.

  Yes Sir. Keep them coming.



charles
Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: richidoo on August 29, 2012, 10:18:42 AM
Thanks for the bump, I forgot about this thread.

I listen to Pandora a lot:
Lester Young station
Jazz Essentials station
Melody Margot station
Dmitri Shostakovich station

but recordings I listen to often are
Mulligan/Desmond Two of a Mind
Minnesota/Vanska Beethoven Symphony cycle on BIS
Prazak Quartet Beethoven Quartet cycle (label?)
Prokofiev Symphonies 1&5, Atlanta Symphony on Telarc
Shostakovich Symphonies 5&9 on Pentatone
Beethoven Triple Concerto and Septet (w/Ma, Sutter on DG?)
Bartok Concerto for Orchestra (who?)

This exercise shows me that my file tags are all screwed up. Years of ripping to different formats, storing tracks in different folders on different machines makes finding album info difficult. I need to reorganize my library!
Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: BobM on August 29, 2012, 11:46:02 AM
Richie Baby - I never would have taken you for a classical above all else lover.
Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: tmazz on September 27, 2012, 06:32:24 PM
If I made a top ten list would I need to count all my different versions of Darkside of the Moon as separate entries???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Title: Re: Favorite LP or CD Top Ten
Post by: BobM on September 28, 2012, 06:08:19 AM
Quote from: tmazz on September 27, 2012, 06:32:24 PM
If I made a top ten list would I need to count all my different versions of Darkside of the Moon as separate entries???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're such a stoner Tom ;)