Main Menu

VPI 16.5 RCM

Started by Triode Pete, November 17, 2011, 06:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triode Pete

Just got a new VPI 16.5 RCM delivered to the house yesterday.

Unpacked it, it's built like the proverbial brick Sh1tHouse!

Does a great job cleaning LP's... I guess I got too lazy using Duane's Disc Doctor hand cleaning method (which served me very well over the past 10 years or so but took too much time). There's nothing like a good vacuum to cure your LP Blues... :yay2:

Need to figure out what's the best cleaning solution to use now!

TTFN,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

richidoo

Congrats, it's a sweet machine.

I tried this recipe, it works very well.
http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize041998.htm

mdconnelly

Pete,

Nice new toy!  I got one a few years ago and it was a great excuse to slowly work my way through my vinyl collection - one record cleaning (and listening) at a time.   Now I feel I need to start over cuz I learned a few things in the process.

I've tried quite a few different RCFs, and the most recent is also my favorite as of now .... L'ART DU SON.   I mix it with the appropriate amount of distilled water and it works its magic just fine.  Excellent coverage, excellent cleaning, easy cleanup.
 

BobM

I would keep using your Disk Doctor fluid until that is gone. His brushes also seem to be preferred by VPI cleaner users over the default VPI felt.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have  to blow your nose.

rollo

Quote from: mdconnelly on November 17, 2011, 06:29:47 PM
Pete,

Nice new toy!  I got one a few years ago and it was a great excuse to slowly work my way through my vinyl collection - one record cleaning (and listening) at a time.   Now I feel I need to start over cuz I learned a few things in the process.

I've tried quite a few different RCFs, and the most recent is also my favorite as of now .... L'ART DU SON.   I mix it with the appropriate amount of distilled water and it works its magic just fine.  Excellent coverage, excellent cleaning, easy cleanup.
 

    I will second that. Squeaky clean.


charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

etcarroll

Don't let excess fluid the drains down into well under platform sit to long.

I did and the wood absorbed it, and swelled.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Triode Pete

#6
Quote from: BobM on November 18, 2011, 05:27:48 AM
I would keep using your Disk Doctor fluid until that is gone. His brushes also seem to be preferred by VPI cleaner users over the default VPI felt.


Currently using the "non-alcohol" based VPI solution with the Disc Doctor brush pads. I didn't like the supplied VPI brush... appears like nylon & seems it wouldn't get into the grooves.

I like the VPI solution since there's no rinse after cleaning. Disc Doctor recommends using their solution (non-alcohol as well), then wiping it with a soft cloth (no vacuuming), then rinsing with distilled water and then vacuum. Another timely step in the process.

I do like the vacuuming suction. It really pulls & the grooves look sparkly clean!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

etcarroll

Since I have the vacumn, I use the vacumn. 3 steps;

1- Steam with distilled water, vacumn.

2- Treat and brush with a mix of 3 parts distilled water, 1 part 93% alcohol, tsp of dawn - vacumn.

3- Steam with distilled water, vacumn
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Rob S.

Congrats on the RCM!

I'd like to add (along with etcarrol )that any standing water near any corners for too long can expand the wood fiberboard.  I left a damp sponge ( which I used to soak up any excessive cleaning or rinse water) sitting on the corner sides and noticed later that it passed the moisture into the wood leaving gaps unprotected by the black coating. 

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!